Rent Cottages close to National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty
England, Scotland and Wales has some outstanding National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty which are perfect for a weekend break, short break or holiday. The is also a huge variety in the types of National Park/AONB including glorious Coastlines, Moors, Dales, hills, mountains, lakes, forests, woods, wetlands, waterways and much more. We have self catering cottages, apartments and lodges near the National Parks and Areas of Outstanding National Beauty and we have noted some of them below.
Selected National Parks and AONB
So where to start? Here is an overview of a selection of National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Exmoor and Dartmoor. In the south west of England, Exmoor National Park is some 267 square miles of amazing and dvierse landscapes including moorlands, valleys and farmland. Dartmoor National Park is 368 square miles which makes it the largest and wildest area of open country in southern England.
See cottages and apartments in Exmoor and Dartmoor
- Lake District. In the North West of England, the Lake District is the largest natioanl Park in England and includes its highest mountain - Scafell Pike - its deepest lake - Wastwater - and many thriving communities including Windermere and Keswick.
See cottages and apartments in the Lake District: Central Lakes and South Lakes
- Broads. In the East of England, the 303 square kilometers of The Broads covers areas of Norfolk and Suffolk. The Broads are Britain's largest nationally protected wetland. of course best known for its waterways, you will also find pretty towns and villages amongst the rolling farmland, woods, and marshes.
See cottages and apartments in the Broadlands, Norfolk and Suffolk
- New Forest. On the south coast of England, the New Forest National Parks was created in 2005 to protect the wonderful ancient woodlands, rare heather covered heathland and superb coastal salt marshes. You will see ponies, deer and cattle wandering freely throughout the New Forest, good cycle and walking routes and plenty of quaint villages and towns to explore.
See cottages and apartments in the New Forest
- Peak District. At the heart of England, the Peak District National Park is 555 square miles of drammatic landscapes incorporating the Dark, White and South-West Peaks. Also home to 38,000 people, the Peak District has thriving towns and communities and offers all sorts of outdoor activities from abseiling to yachting!
See cottages and apartments in the Peak District
- Northumberland and Coast. In the north east of England covers some 405 square miles but is the least populated of all the National Parks in England and Wales. The park has 1100km of paths for walking, cycling and horse-riding including 2 national trails and 3 National nature reserves, 432 scheduled ancient monuments and 259 listed buildings.
See cottages and apartments on the Northumberland Coast
- Yorkshire Dales. In the north of England, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is 680 square miles that covers the central Pennines in North Yorkshire and Cumbria. With outstanding scenery, a range of wildlife habitats and a rich cultural habitat the Yorkshire Dales are perfect for relaxation or outdoor activities.
See cottages and apartments in the Yorkshire Dales
- North Yorkshire Moors and Coast. In the north east of England North York Moors National Park is a blend of stunning landscapes with vast open moorland, woods and picturesque villages. Lots of historic abbeys, castles and churches to discover, it is also known for its Jurassic geology you can even see dinosaur footprints and search for fossils down by the coast.
See cottages and apartments in the North Yorkshire Moors and Coast
- Pembrokeshire Coast. In South Wales, the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park is Britain's only true coastal National Park covering some 240 square miles. The stunning coastline offers safe sandy beaches which are perfect for families as well as rugged cliffs and secluded rocky coves. A true paradise for wildlife gives it a special feel.
See cottages and apartments on the Pembrokeshire Coast
- Brecon Beacons. In south Wales, the Brecon Beacons National Park is a unique landscape of Old Red Sandstone peaks, open moorland, green valleys, hidden waterfalls and fern-filled gorges. Explore caves and castles, vibrant villages and an array of events for a truly Welsh experience.
See cottages and apartments in the Brecon Breacons area
- Cairngorms. In the heart of the Scottish Highlands, Cairngorms National Park is 17,000 square miles and includes Britain's highest and most massive mountain range. What more you will find Britain's biggest ancient forest, vast moorlands, rivers, lochs and wildlife including red squirrels, reindeer, ospreys, eagles and wildcats.
See cottages and apartments in the Caingorms area
- Snowdonia. On the west coast of Britain, Snowdonia National Park in Wales covers 823 square miles of varied landscape with the highest mountain in England and Wales and the largest natural lake in Wales. Snowdonia is steeped in culture and local history where more than half the population proudly speak Welsh.
See cottages and apartments in Snowdonia area
- South Downs. On the south coast of England, the Soutyh Downs National Park covers an area of 1600 square kilometers and is home to 108,000 people. Rightly recognised as an area of outstanding natural beauty it is steeped on history and traditional English culture, ancient cities and bustling market towns.
See cottages and apartments near the South Downs: West Sussex East Sussex
- Cotswolds. In the south west of England, the Cotswolds covers 790 square miles across six English counties of Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire and Somerset. The Cotswolds is known for its gentle hillsides (the wolds), wonderful countryside and river valleys, water meadows and beech woods and traditional English villages.
See cottages and apartments in the Cotswolds
More Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty
In addition to the wonderful National Parks there are 33 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in England and 4 more in Wales. To see the full list of AONB in England and Wales please click the links below: